Pages

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Homemade gifts...with love...

What is your take on homemade gifts? Do you also feel super loved when someone hands you a gift they've lovingly crafted with you in mind? I love getting homemade gifts. Don't get me wrong, I love receiving ANY gift, but there is something truly special about someone investing their time and creativity into making something with you in mind. Perhaps that is why I enjoy making gifts. I'd like to share with you a few that  I've made recently. I would be delighted if you would share any ideas you may have, as I'm always looking for fresh, new inspiration!

My daughter's best friend had a birthday recently, and as letter's are very popular decorative objects at the moment, I decided to make one for her with her first initial. One can buy blank letters ready for decorating from most hobby and craft shops, whether they're made from card, plaster or wood. I loved this white one, as it looks fresh, crisp and is really easy to jazz up. I love using transfers for projects like these, so I set to work...


I used paper, transfers, gemstones for sparkle, and ribbon for texture, and this was the result.
A quick, easy, yet personal gift!



Now, if there is one thing that lends itself to gifting, it's the humble jar. They come in many shapes and sizes, and you can purchase them rather inexpensively, or one can re-purpose/re-cycle existing ones. Teamed up with a few decorative touches, the possibilities are endless! It was a dear friend's birthday recently, and I wanted to add an extra little something to her gift bag. I used a pickle jar, and created a gift called 'Jute in a Jar'...


I sanded the lid with sandpaper to get rid of Mrs Pickles' face, and to give it a rustic feel! I then added some flower transfers, and letter transfers to the glass bottom. All that was left to do was to make a hole in the lid. I used my eyelet hammer and hole punch, but a hammer and nail would do the job just as well. I popped the jute string inside, pulled it through the hole, tied a knot and voila! Jute in a jar! (P.S. I did also add some scented oil to the jute before sealing the jar....Cranberry and vanilla...)




Now, I find it quite easy to think of gift ideas for the fairer sex, but when it comes to the male variety, I sometimes get stuck. A friend once gave our little man a 'movie-night-in' in a basket, and he loved it. So, needless to say, I bagged this idea for his friend's birthday. I filled a basket with snacks, popcorn and soda for good measure. (Don't tell the dentist!) I popped a Blockbuster movie shop gift card inside (I can imagine using DVDs as well, but a card gives freedom of choice!), and added a few finishing touches...


I made a little 'ticket pouch' for the gift card...


I then added a clapper board for dramatic effect...



...a Hollywood walk of fame star to brighten it up...


I found some old photo film, and used it to decorate a sweet jar...


And there you have it, a 'movie night in' in a basket!

Please share your lovely gift ideas by leaving a comment. I would love to hear from you!

Be blessed!
  Tania♥♥♥

1 comment:

  1. Hello beautiful Tania! You are so amazing dear friend!!! Thank you for sharing your wonderful gift ideas! Like you, I love any gift, but handmade gifts especially, and feel just as you do when I receive one! I love the beautiful letter you made and the fun movie in a box! Oh, the jute in a jar is entirely too cute, and so useful too! You made each gift so unique and so special! Thank you for the inspiration! I need to get more creative with my gift giving! Have a lovely day sweetie! Much love to you dear heart! xoxo~ Paula

    ReplyDelete

Stay a while...Would love to hear from you!