Pages

Thursday 4 June 2015

Light work...

Today is a good day. The sun is boldly strutting in the bright blue sky, and a light breeze is flirting with the leafy trees outside my window, making them sway just ever so gently to the tune of early summer. Perfection. When the days are bright and warm like this, my mind tends to wander all the way down from Blighty to the very bottom of the African continent...my homeland. I get rather nostalgic when reminded of balmy days spent in the southern sun. And it seems nostalgia has gripped my heart strings rather tightly over the past week!

I have been itching to make a new lampshade for quite some time now, a little sewing project that I hadn't attempted before. I had a vague idea of what I wanted to do...some kind of naive applique scene...maybe little houses, or beach huts? Whilst flicking through our wedding album (a little self indulgent walk down memory lane!), it suddenly dawned on me that I could do the little chapel where we were married. It was a beautiful sun kissed day like today, with a light breeze tickling my veil. We said our 'I do's' in a pretty school chapel out in the country, where white daisies framed the entrance to the altar. The church was surrounded by beautiful old Cape Dutch style buildings, so typical of South Africa, and I decided incorporate this into the scene. Yes, I am a soppy girl. A sentimental fool. I do love to add a little nostalgia and sentiment to our home, as I believe it reflects who we are. And of course I've allowed myself a little poetic licence in the design...a few flirty kites stretching their legs above the rooftop, and cheerful bunting blowing in the breeze...





























































Blessings

1 comment:

  1. That is heartwarming to the point of tear inducing, sweet Tania. Thank you for sharing this truly special memory (and creation) with us. I'm a die-hard nostalgist as well and can certainly relate.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Stay a while...Would love to hear from you!